What is REDCap?
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases for research projects. REDCap was developed by Vanderbilt University and is used by over two-thousand institutions around the world. Key features include:
- A web interface for creating instruments, capturing data, and reporting.
- User created data validation rules.
- Field level logging for auditing and quality assurance.
- Convenient export to .csv, SPSS, SAS, and Stata formats.
REDCap is great for projects of any size. It makes it easy to setup simple online surveys, and to manage complex projects securely using features like configurable instrument-level user permissions, data access groups for multi-site projects, an off-line first mobile application, and more.
How do I get access to use REDCap for a project?
Access to REDCap at CHS is available (upon request) to all college faculty who would like to use it in their research. To request access, please send a brief description of your project to the REDCap administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org). Someone will reach out to you shortly to provide access and instructions to help you get started.
Training materials are available to anyone interested in REDCap (with or without access to the UD CHS instance). https://projectredcap.org/resources/videos/
How much does it cost to use?
There are two options for using REDCap.
- Pay a portion of a CHS REDCap programmer’s salary and they will design, build, and test your REDCap project to your specifications. The programmer can also assist you by developing and documenting data management plans and performing data cleaning, transformation, and analysis tasks.
- Complete additional video and in-person training and create and manage the REDCap project yourself. General technical support is provided at no cost.